Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Shots


Well, today poor little Brensyn had to get some vaccinations. It was his 18 month well-child check and the whole family was in attendance. They said they were going to give him four shots... two in one leg, one in the other and one in his arm. So they put this special "numbing" cream on there with a little band-aid to "numb" the area. Meanwhile, the Dr. comes in and does the history, checks him over and visits with us. When the Dr. leaves, the nurses come in to give the shots. "Would you like him on the table, or would you like to hold him while we do this?" I answer- "He would probably like it better if I held him." So I set him on my lap and they tell me to hold his arms so he can't get at the needles. I do this and they start. Well, being the smart people they are, they start doing it and don't think they need to hold his legs down. So he jerks away and the first shot had to be stabbed into him three times. The second only twice, and finally the second nurse decides to hold his legs. Then it's time for the shot in the arm... while he's wailing in my ear and flailing around... and they get it done with one poke because I'm hold his arms down. Then they re-stick the band-aids that were on there with the "numbing" cream... and they don't stick so his little shot marks are bleeing. I tell them he needs new ones, and one by one they replace them. He doesn't want them to touch him, so they smear the blood all over. I decided to just take a few band-aids myself and put them on. So the poor kid is traumatized for a while. He's been limping around all afternoon and evening and I feel horrible for the poor kid... and a little guilty after the pitiful looks he kept giving me while he was being tortured. What was the point of putting the stupid cream on? It obviously didn't help... all it did was get smeared around and cause the band-aids to not stick. I just wish that the stupid nurses would get it together and realize that little kids are a lot smarter than they think, and if their leg is hurting, they're going to kick and scream and move it. Hold it down people! So that's my story for today. Next time Kies is naughty I think I'll tell him to cool it or we're taking him to get poked;)! J/k everyone!

No comments: