Thursday, August 21, 2008

The end and the beginning

This has been a hard few days. Bradley Mickelson, a friend to many and loved by all those who knew him, had a tragic accident that took his young life. It's not important how it happened really, but he was accidentally shot while on the mountain. The circumstances are completely sad, and since I not only knew him, although not as well as some, I knew his siblings, Ashlee being one of my closest friends growing up, it has taken me by surprise the feelings that I have been feeling. As I said before, I didn't know him as well as some, in fact, the only reason I knew him was because of my friendship with Ashlee and Brad's friendship with my little sister, Calli. He was always a fun person to be around. He had this goofy little smile that he almost ALWAYS had on his face, and it was hard to not be in a good mood around him. I remember the way he used to always want to be with Ash and I when we would be hanging out, and we usually never really minded. JT, or I suppose I should call him Jason, was usually around with us too. I love this family. We have spent a lot of time together through the years, and it will be hard for this family without him around. The funeral, that was held for him yesterday, was beautiful! Tanya and Bryan, his oldest brother and sister, gave his life history- and it was filled with loving and funny memories. The songs were beautiful, but you could feel the sadness still. This made me realize how blessed that I am in my life to have my family around me and those people who care for me are always there for me. I have a brother that died before I was born, and although I still seem to mourn his death somehow, on days like yesterday and on his birthday, I can't imagine the pain of losing someone like Brad. I am so thankful for the testimony that I have and for the knowledge that I have that I will see him, and all others that I love that I have lost, again someday if I do what I have been taught and commanded to do. I am so grateful for all of these things. And I am grateful for all of you... even those of you who don't know me or I don't know you - you are part of my life!

Now onto the beginning part! McKie started school today! I had Calli take a few pictures of him, but I also took some pictures of him yesterday, when he went to his screening. Today is his first official day, but yesterday still kind of counts, so I will post a few of each! He is very excited for school, and I think that it will be nice to have some time with just Brensyn and Ansleigh while Kies is at school! We will see! And maybe I will just post some miscellaneous pics too!


Kies getting ready to head out

Kies showing Brensyn the grasshopper

Being silly before we get out for school

Mommy holding his hand to walk to school

On the run for school!!! YAY!

3 comments:

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

Preschool? In Cowley? Fill me in. Are you living there for good now??? Call me.

Erika and Kevin said...

Is he in kindergarten now or preschool! That is crazy! How fun for him though, I can still recall my first official day of school and how excited I was! I am sorry to hear about your friend. That is really hard and sad. My prayers will be with his friends and family.

Kimberly said...

It looks like they do preschool at the elementary? Cool. What days does he go? Hailey doesn't start until September, I'm getting so excited for her!