Friday, May 9, 2008

My girls

I would like to give an omage, if you will, to my girls Emily and Shayla. I missed Shayla's birthday, and mixed up dates with Em's, so here it is- my omage to my tallest and shortest friends. I'm not going to do a poem like Shay did for Em, because I am not as creative, and I'd rather just share some fond memories and pictures! I found these while going through my old pics. I also found the pic I told you all about of Nick Wilson on his mission, but that will be at the end of the post.
To Shayla, who was always a great picnic buddy, and there for me whenever I needed her.

My mom bought us both a wonderful picnic basket for graduation... do you still have that Shay? I still have mine, although we don't really use it much. I actually have two... I got one for my wedding.

But I digress. Do you remember our first summer together? Swing choir, and oh how great it was. Do you remember that there were only two guys? Jeff and Josh Wambeke? HA HA HA!

Then I stayed over at your house for a week and we weren't as great friends anymore- I hated your cousins who called their parents by their first names? Then we worked our way back together, and thank goodness we did!

Middle school was a rough place, and were it not for you and our new friend Emily- could I have made it through? I think not. Then on to high school where we became "The Outcasts" with Jen and went on to "stalk" the Lovell boys, one of which you married.

Although I guess he was never one of the ones we "stalked"- or was he? I have so many memories I can't even count, but I'll bet that you agree, the picnics were great.

Do you remember this picture? And what we did afterwards? This was the night of the great marshmallow fight of '01. Good times were had by all, even after I got the marshmallow smack heard 'round the world! Which, of course, Emily was in on.
Emily was in on most of the things that we did. The three of us had some super fun times together... ahh the days.

I still remember when you first came, Em. Do you remember how trusting you were of me? Ha ha, the cork grease on the hands, and the laser beams to keep us out of the field where I took the shortcut to my house? Those were the days!
And when we finally talked to into getting bangs... which was a curse to us all after you would come up to us all and fix our bangs for us? HA HA HA! Sweet. And who can forget when you and I got to be a part of the "Angels" in the "Anything Goes" musical the high school put on when we were, in fact, still in high school?

And then there's volleyball, when we'd hike up our shorts and flip our shirts through the collar, and make Coach Kay laugh? Of course, you were there as we stalked the Lovell boys, in fact, maybe a little more than Shayla! I guess I should be making a list of mutual memories, because most of my memories are with you both! Save a picnic here and a Lovell trip there. So I will compile a small list, by titles alone:
Leader of the Pack
The Roof incident
The Roof incident punishment
The Blue Lady
Girls Camp
Youth Conference (remember that weird Steven kid from Lovell who dug the bones up at the cemetery and wouldn't stop stalking us?)
Prom
My wedding- those super awesome dresses! HA HA HA
EVERYTHING!

I miss you guys, and love you both! Happy late birthdays, and come and visit me soon!

Here's that picture of Nick. I'll have to find the one of Dave and do a double sided picture, just cause he's a riot!

4 comments:

Emily Asay said...

Thank you so much, I love the pics, they bring back SUCH good memories. :)

nina said...

I loved seeing those pictures. The one of the Lovell guys was funny, I was thinking, so that's where all of our guys were! Hanging out with Rocky chicks. Oh well, who can blame them.

I loved seeing the ones of Emily to when she was young, I remember when she first moved here I thought she was so beautiful. I was sure that she was going to come take all of the Lovell's guys attention for sure. I remember thinking, I wish I looked like her. She could be a model.

Mark & Shayla said...

Um, can I just say Merril! I loved the pictures and all the memories. I had a good laugh. Thanks Shan!

Ranee` said...

I'm with Nina, so that's where those guys were all the time! ;) I wish I would have tagged along and I could have met my husband so much sooner. That would have been fun, if I could have lured him away from you beutiful girls! He's so little in the pictures, it makes me laugh! I asked him if he remembered the marshmellow fight, and he said vaguely. He thought he threw one at Nancy and made her cry! How funny, what a fun post.